Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed of Opening Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

KishSays

Programmer
May 8, 2002
IN
I am Using VB6.0 and SQl Server. All the reports are developed using Crystal Report Designer Enviroment and saved as .rpt files.
From VB i just specify the filename, Provide the Connection string and use
CrystalReport1.Action = 1 to open the Report.
The Report takes a long time to open(Since lot of time is taken in connecting to the database) even if there are no records.
same process is Followed to open different reports using different Crystal Report OCX Object.
Is this the right method. If No then please suggest me some way open reports in Quick Time.

Can Embedding the Crystal Report in VB be a solution........

the time to open of the reports is usually based on the query that gathers the data. The more efficient the query the faster the report opens. This of course is related to how efficient the database is in the first place and the use of index fields etc...

Embedding the report in VB does not speed things up IMHO Jim Broadbent

I think more time is taken in connecting to the Database rather than Query....

Once the Report is opened the opetration of Quey Starts..

I suppose there is some other method...........

there are a lot of operations camoflagued under the label "Opening Database" Jim Broadbent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back