Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed of NT agent with Novell server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunck

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2002
GB
Having spent 2 weeks getting an acceptable performance from Novell box (between 130 and 200 MB/min). I thought I would move on to the NT/2000 servers.

Using the agent from the CD gives 12 MB/min and it doesn't finish as it times out with link lost.

I see there are sp upgrades for the nt/2000 systems but you seem to need the main system installed on an NT/2000 machine to unpack and find the bits you need.

I don't particularly want to install another arcserve server, I've enough grey hairs from the last time!!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I am struggling with the same issue.
The throughput I am averaging now on my Netware server with the Arcserve nwagent v7.0 client is 143MB a minute.
My backup server is a Windows NT v4.0 with 260MB of RAM.

I first upgraded my Windows NT 4.0 server from Arcserve SP2 to SP3. Then I found a TID on Tek-Tips. I made following change to the registry on all NT servers.

Tek-Guru Pertaining to the (Client) NT Servers
You dont mention what software or kit you're using but I had a problem solved for me that may assist you. I've installed NT Arcserve2000 and 4 NT Arcserve 2000 Clients connected via ethernet and found the fastest throughput we could get from the clients is 1MB/Min which is completely unusable. It seems one of the defaults on install for 2000 clients sets the throughput incorrectly.

The key was
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\COMPUTERASSOCIATES\ARCSERVEIT\CLIENTAGENT\PARAMETERS\SetWSSendBuff <Change from 1 to 4096>

Our throughput went from 1MB/Min to 350MB/Min.

If your using Netware, look for something similar in the configs. Good luck!

The Arcserve configuration file asconfig.ini is located in f:\nwagent, I made the following change and speed picked up to 350 - 500MB a min. (NO JOKE)
Edit the asconfig.ini in the nwagent directory and add the cmp_max_req=32 at the end of the NWAgent load line, e.g. CSNLM2=SYS:\NWAGENT\NLM\NWAGENT ARP cmp_max_req=32
Save the file and then restart the NetWare Agent.

On the NetWare client Agent side, increase the buffers that the agent uses. To increase the buffers, follow the steps below.
On the NetWare server console, go to the NetWare Client Agent menu and select Configuration.
For the Transmission Threshold (KB) and Number of 64 KB buffers, set these to 64.
Press <F2> key to save this configuration.

However, in the middle of my backups I started having controller issues.

I am now looking at upgrading the my controller and NIC card drivers, and adding more RAM.

Good Luck........I really think the speed issue is software related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back