Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed of network conn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loonygirl

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
GB
I think I'm being a bit thick here....how do I change the speed at which my network card is running?

I've found out the car is:
tu0 DEC TULIP (10/100) Ethernet Interface
auto negoatiaion off: selecting 10BaseT (UTP) port: half duplex.

Now, the network is running at 100MPS, and I *think* it's running full duplex (not 100% sure on this one)

I've looked through the manual pages, trawled Google etc etc but I can't find how to change my network speed. I assume that "auto negotiation off" means that the auto detect feature for network speed has been turned off?

Thanks!!

Sarah

Apologies....I've just found something on lan_config which seems to be what I want.

If I use this to turn the auto negotiation on, will I need to restart the network? Will it cause problems? Should I wait until most people have logged off their PC's just to be on the safe side?!

Thanks,

Sarah

Unplugging the cable, ifconfiging the interface down, the plugging it back in and ifconfig up should cause it to renegotiate.

if on tru64 with a single card you can try consvar -g ewa0_mode to display the console setting of the card. lan_config should be able to adjust the speed at OS level, if the device is supported.

In response to your first post the speed is only 10/half. this is probably set at console level (ewa0_mode), so you may need to shutdown it down, change the console setting and then reboot.

Failed to get ewa0_mode ?

The lan_config appears to have worked in that it says in the messages file that it has changed it's speed setting to 100MPS with auto-negotiation turned on. However, in terms of speed on the network, nothing has changed. So perhaps I need to reboot the network first.

I have actually added a file into rc3.d directory which sets the speed of the card because somewhere in the startup sequence, something is telling the card to turn off auto-negotiation and run at 10MPS half. I haven't been able to reboot the server as yet, but I'm hoping that this will help solve the network login problem!

Sarah

If you can shut it down to console, do a show dev e. The variable name should something like e*_mode and it will probably be set to Twisted-Pair. If the card is 100/Full compatible, you can set this FastFD. This should force the card to 100 full.

If you want to explicity enable auto-negotioation on the car you can use:
>>> set ewa[#]_mode auto-negotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back