Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specify NT workstation machine as domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 1999
US
I'm trying to set up a small Network in my home consisting of a NT workstation server (wouldn't it be foolish to buy NT Server to use on a 4 computer network?) and 3 other win98 machines... How do I set up the NT workstation server to BE the server?? In other words specify it as the domain...

Well, you buy NT Server. Wouldn't it be foolish for Microsoft to sell you a workstation that does what the server product does? You could always impliment a peer to peer network, but then you loose all that great stuff that the Server product does, like administration and security. I will agree that with only 4 machines, you are probably better off setting up a peer to peer, but if you can swing the bucks for the server, that is the over all best solution.

I agree with TheOne, even with the cash outlay. Besides, with an NT Server 4.0 setup, you could really experiment with all the nastiness that NT can inflict on unsuspecting administrators. That experience would be invaluable to some future employer of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back