Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specify Member in SQL Statement on AS/400 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbMax

Programmer
Jul 16, 2001
US
How can a file member by specified in an SQL statement on the AS/400? If I issue the following SQL statement:
SELECT * FROM TEST/QRPGLESRC
the "first" member in the file is read. However, I would like to read a different member. I have tried the following statements:
SELECT * FROM TEST/QRPGLESRC.ABC
SELECT * FROM TEST/QRPGLESRC(ABC)
the syntax is not correct.

Thanks in advance!
- vbMax

Quoting the IBM SQL reference book ...Think of an alias as an alternative name for a table, view, or member of a database file. Aliases help you avoid using file overrides.... This implies to me that you should either issue on override to the file.member i.e. OVRDBF FILE(QRPGLESRC) TOFILE(TEST/QRPGLESRC) MBR(ABC) or create an alias for the member. I tried the override and it works. I did not try to create an alias. The SQL reference can be found at note that this is information for V4R5. I would try the override if the programming is CL or other non-SQL language. If the programming is being done in SQL, then I would try the CREATE ALIAS sql statement. See this link for usage

Here's another slant on it, from Search400.com:

Using files with multiple members in SQL or ODBC
Jose Luis Gareli
10 Sep 2004
Rating: -3.00- (out of 5)

I've come across problems when working in SQL and ODBC with specific members in files with multiple members.
This is a simple solution that I came up with -- without using the OVRDBF or CREATE ALIAS.

Create an alias for the member of the file with multiple members:

CRTDDMF FILE(library_name/ddm_file_name) RMTFILE(*NONSTD
'library_name/file_name(member_name)') RMTLOCNAME(*RDB)
RDB(local_rdb_name)

library_name/ddm_file_name = alias for file member to use in file with
multiple members
library_name/file_name(member_name) = file member in file with multiple
members
local_rdb_name = WRKRDBDIRE, see Relational Database Name (Remote
Location = *Local)

In SQL
------

SELECT field1, field2, field3, field4
FROM library_name/ddm_file_name
WHERE field1 = 'ABCDF'

In ODBC
-------

In the screen Select Tables, to select the file:
library_name/ddm_file_name
Then, it will visualize the fields of the file (they are really the
fields of the file: library_name/file_name(member_name)), to select the
fields and to usually continue
==================================

Have not tried these myself, but worth a shot...........

Both methods worked for me - the OVRDBF and CREATE ALIAS methods. Also, I discovered that the CREATE ALIAS command in SQL is the equivalent of the OS/400 command CRTDDMF.

Thank!
vbMax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back