Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specific Citrix/TS licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt2112

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi Guys,

This question is fairly specific... So please, no wandering off and replying to it if it doesn't apply--really.

This is for a new planned Citrix farm, I'm fairly new at it and would like a direct answer to my question.

Planned Environment:

1 Windows 2000 PDC
2 Citrix Metaframe XP Server (FR2 or FR3) w/ 100 license pack for current and future expansion.
50 Clients will be Windows 2000 Pro and/or Win XP Pro

Clients will use the ICA32 client v6.3.1051 (Not PN)

Question: Looking at this specific config, will I need to purchase Windows TS licenses?

I hear that 2000 Pro and XP Pro both have a license. There will not be any other type of client connecting (Me, 98, NT)

Some people tell me that I will need at least a 10 pack of TS licenses.

Thank you, and sorry for the way I posted, I always see people trying to give out a bit too much info, thus confussing the person asking the question.

You will need to install a TS licensing server. You will need to buy a 10 user license (smallest denomination I could find) in order to activate the server. UNLESS you sign some document with MS stating you will not have any clients other than 2000/XP connecting (per Citrix). BUT when I contacted MS about the document (I have the same scenario as you) I was told "We will have to create a support incident for that and that I needed to contact product support services". This meant a $245 charge to my credit card (potentially and probably?) and since I run a Unix box in several locations that I JUST MIGHT NEED to connect with I forked over the $745 price I got from ww.cdw.com though the price is higher now. Now I don't care.
Ike

Thanks Ikester, I spoke to a friend who is also a Citrix professional and he also said that you need/should buy a 10-pack of TS licenses. Now question is, if I don't buy the 10-pack, will the DC/License Server "time out" and cause none of my clients to access the system?

What happens today is that when we get a new update to our shop's software system, we have to install it on every workstation. If we were to run Citrix we could take a few of the better PC's as well as our file server and convert them to Citrix boxes... then buy lightweight clients for our users. First, *NOBODY* would connect to our network and all our clients are Win2Kpro or XPpro.

I guess I can try it by installing ALL the software and changing the system clock x number of days into the future.

Hi,

TS Licenses are smarter than altering the clock on the server!

If your stations are W2K or XP Pro, then you will only need TS Licenses for each of the workstations that connect. For any none NT/W2K/XP device you will need a W2K Client Access License!

BUT READ THIS WARNING !!!!!!

For each PC that connects via TS or Citrix, a license will be given, if you rebuild a PC and call it the same name, IT WILL TAKE A NEW LICENSE. If you get a laptop and connect once and once only, IT WILL TAKE A NEW LICENSE... Get where I'm going with this license crap!!!!!

Now, there is a bug in the Citrix software that it creates a registry key (at the end!), this key will have insufficient rights for a normal user to alter it! This should/will need fixing with Regedt32.exe!

Registry Key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MsLicensing
Give Everyone Full Control to this key and it's subkeys.

Hope this helps,
Carl.

Hi Ogi,

So, if I have a small network, with NO roaming or visiting users, I can "get away" with just purchasing the Citrix package?

That is, we might expand the network ,but all clients will be Win2Kpro or XPpro.

I just don't want to pay the fatman Micro$oft if I don't have to and also properly budget this future project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back