Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special Characters in Macola

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZulumanatSPI

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to put special characters in Macola? Specifically, I'm looking to use the OHM (Omega) character, which I actually found in a Vendor Item Number description. But I don't know how the person put it in there, nor can I copy and paste it. I know the pressing the Atl key plus a combination of numbers can get you some characters, but I don't know the right combo for the Omega character.

Thanks.

You can find the Omega in the Character Map program, usually found in the Windows Accessories. There is no "ALT" combination for Omega, and it may not be in all fonts, but you can try to copy and paste this from the Character Map Window. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Zuluman,

I am a Macola Consultant and this came up about a year ago -Macola does not support this in version 7.5x (the latest version). I have heard that they will support this in version 8, which does not have a firm release date yet.

I tried several things, like exporting macola files to .txt files, and editing them with an editor that does support special characters - I used an Omega for the test - and then imported back into Macola and go tvery strange results.

For example, a description DUNE BUGGY {omega} became
DUNE BUGGY W. (This forum, or else my browser, does not support special characters either because both in Macola and in this post, when I tried to past an omega, I got a W.

If you run into a workaround, let me know.

I Stand Corrected!

I saw a similar post on special characters on a totally unrelated issue, and tried it logic in Macola, and it works!

You need to know the ACSII code for each special character (if you email me I will email you back a list in MS Excel). In Macola, hold down the ALt key and then key in the number for the character you want (an n with a tilde, for instance is character 241). Then let up on the keys and the special character shows up in Macola. I have tested this both in display and printing modes and it works!

Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine

dgillz,

Yes, these are the "Alt" combinations I mentioned above, and they are all listed in the Character map program as well. But not all characters have a number. Did you find one for Omega? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

dgillz,

I also tried using several "ATL" + number combinations, but was not able to find one for the Omega. Do you have that ASCII number?

Thanks again.

No I do not beleive it exists. Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back