Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spatial Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHunt

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
I'm building a system which stores Geographical data, and trying to use the spatial functions in the Oracle database. Amongst the tables there are:

blpu - one row per property in the county, each row has a spatial point object indicating its position. Has 480,000 rows.

lcc_boundary - one row per region in the county (parishes, wards, districts, etc.), each row has a spatial polygon indicating its boundary. Has 537 rows.

Now, if I want to determine which parish (say) a given property is in, I do this:
Code:
SELECT b.uprn,
       lb.name area
FROM   blpu b,
       osmm.lcc_boundary lb
WHERE  MDSYS.SDO_GEOM.RELATE(lb.geoloc,
                             'CONTAINS',
                             b.geometry,
                             0.005) = 'CONTAINS'
AND    lb.area_code = 'CPC'
AND    b.uprn = 100030723225
So far so good - it comes back with the right answer - but it takes 1 second to do so. If I changed the last line to bring back 100 properties, it takes about 100 seconds. Clearly performance is going to be extremely sluggish when doing real queries.

Is there anything I can do - e.g. indexes that can be built - that will speed up these spatial functions; or am I just going to have to "denormalise" the spatial data into a table that cross-references each row in blpu with the rows in lcc_boundaries that enclose it?

I find it hard to believe that Oracle would be selling a product that's so unusably slow.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back