Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sparcstation LX advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdina

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
US
I am now the proud new owner of a Sun Sparcstation LX, I finally have taken the plunge. I must admit, I already love it more than my Alphastation and Wintel boxes, I can't believe that I had waited so long for this. I can't wait until I can afford a big-boy.

anyway to my question.

BACKGROUND INFO:
The box powers up, it has solaris 2.5 on it, I have no idea of how large the HD is on the box, but I do know that I have 48MB of memory. The box boots partially (I am accessing the computer via the serial interface), I get to a point where services are started, and it just seems to hang, I am not sure that this really matters to me however, as even if it did get to a prompt I have no account on the box and no way of knowing the passwords to any accounts that may exist on the box.

QUESTION 1:
What I really want to do is install solaris 9 on it, I have no use for X at this time, I really just want to be able to run a simple webserver, maybe e-mail as well, I will stick to working all of my X stuff on my P4, the web site claims solaris 9 will run on this machine however it also states that I need 600MB of HD space, and 64MB of memory, I have read though by others that it will run on less, like I said, no X, will this work?

QUESTION 2:
If question 1 is answered with a "yes" then I have a second question, how difficult would it be to perform a network install of solaris? I have no cd-rom drive for this machine, I do run plenty of linux and some FreeBSD, and have NFS running already, I am not sure if solaris uses NFS for network installs though.

QUESTION 3:
This one doesn't really matter to me but would there be any way to salvage the 2.5 install I have already, is there some type of "single-user mode" like in linux that I can access to repair it, might be fun to try even if I do install solaris 9.

Q1: I guess Sol9 does not install on the HDDs they are to small (200 MB HDD default)

Q2: you need to setup a boot- and installserver; Solaris boxes use bootparams, tftp and NFS

Q3: once set up a bootserver you can boot the OS from net (boot net -sw) and do a remote dump
tar cf - . | rsh remotehost dd if=- of=/the/dumping/device/eg/a/tapedrive (this works with .rhosts permissions on a Sun, Linux etc. may have different Commands/Mecanisms)

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

> Q1: I guess Sol9 does not install on the HDDs they are to
> small (200 MB HDD default)

so assuming my HD is large enough, 48MB memory is enough memory for a Solaris 9 install?

> Q2: you need to setup a boot- and installserver; Solaris
> boxes use bootparams, tftp and NFS

can I run the installserver using linux, or by install server do you just mean an NFS mountpoint somewhere with the media.

> Q3: once set up a bootserver you can boot the OS from net
> (boot net -sw) and do a remote dump
> tar cf - . | rsh remotehost dd if=-
> of=/the/dumping/device/eg/a/tapedrive (this works
> with .rhosts permissions on a Sun, Linux etc. may have
> different Commands/Mecanisms)

howbout the bootserver, what do I need for this?

Q1: I'm not sure, I do not have much experience with old HW and new OS, but 48MB RAM is not much, I think it's ok, but give enough swap (2x RAM, as an old rule of thumb)

Q2 & Q3: all Docs I know deal with at least 2 Suns (1 Installclient and 1 Installserver), I'm not sure what you need if Installserver is not Sun. Pl search for more information at and
Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back