Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sparc 20 with no display, won't boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveB42

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what I have done so far...

Was told the Sparc 20 was hung, it was, the display was there, but stupid me didn't write down the error message. It looked as if CDE had bombed, because the background screen (white background, large black font) was poking through in places. Before a hard power reset I tried to rsh and telnet in to no avail, I did a stop-A, and it did nothing.

So I powered it off, and then hit the power button on the keyboard, it seemed to be coming back up fine, the caps lock light blinked, and I heard the drives spin back up, but the display didn't come back. I suspected that perhaps the keyboard had come unplugged or was damaged by a user, so I swapped it with a known good keyboard, still, no display.

I went ahead and reseated the video card, hard drives, and CPU one at a time, each time power back up yet nothing changes. The power supply seems to be okay, both fans spinning and all the peripherals working and whatnot. Also, when to Sparc 20 is powered the SCSI terminators light up on the external drive, so not much seems to be wrong with it except its refusal to boot (can't remote login or anything) and no display.

And yes, I checked the monitor and cable on another box, an Ultra 1. Oh yes, I do know that I am working on dinosaurs. That's the government for you.

Regards,

Steve

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back