Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spanning tree algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.

peca

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
NO
If the root node is a very old or limited bandwidth switch, will this affect the performance of the network, as compared to having a fast switch as the root?

thanks in advance

peca

the newer switch is hopefully better debugged and more reliable, I gave my brightest boxes my highest priority in spanning tree. by default it chooses the lowest MAC id, not a great feature. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

look at your topology, is the blocking in the correct place.. Make your decision based up on where you want your blocking to be.. Remember this can be done per Vlan. you can have diffrent vlans take diffret paths depending on what switch you designate as root. if you have a large network, i suggest seeting up a root seccondary as well.

If you dont make a choice, the mac address will decide it for you.

have Fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back