Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam failure notice: "I hate not being read"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcom

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
CA
In the last two days, I've gotten my regualar 2-3 spam e-mails in OE 6 (using a Hotmail account) but I've also received 100+ from Mail Delivery Subsystem with subject, "Mail delivery failed: retuning message to sender", an other similar failed notices.

I'm not sending anything though, I feel like it's a message to me (but in reverse, someone spoofing my e-mail addy because I apparently ignore too much spam). But does that make sense? Intended recipients are jsrs@a-znet.com and jstar@i2k.com and jsps-bon@t-online.at and others, with some Germanic language written in the message but these are not people in my address book.

I want to know, is this a virus or has anyone heard of this before? I'm going to run a scan and check back. Any info would be great, but Google returns nothing with "I hate not being read" as the query.

It sounds like you have a virus. Make sure you virus detection is updated and run a thorough check.

The secret in education lies in respecting the student. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}.

Howdy:

Your email address is being "spoofed" by another system that is infected with one of a couple dozen virii that use email spoofing to hide and propogate.. You are NOT infected !!

For example.. System A has your email address and 10 others in their contact list.. They are infected with the Klez virii.. Klez searches System A's Contact List and selects YOUR email address and places it in the "from" box of a new email.. It then proceeds to send itself to the other 10 contacts.. Those with an active av program will see the virii in the email and send it back to the "sender" as un-deliverable which is who?? You got it, YOU as it is your email addy in the "from" box..

Until the infected system is found and cleaned, you can expect a pile of these..

Thanks SEsask, that's soft of what I was expecting. I wonder how the chain of contacts got around to Europe though... I suppose I'll never know.

I did a McAffe scan and nothing is present on my side. I have all the Microsoft vulnerabilities patched and I don't open attachments even from friends since Klez got me old WinMe system last year.

If the messeges persist, I wouldn't mind getting a new address. As long as I'm not the culprit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back