Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spam Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

digatle

Technical User
Oct 31, 2003
US
Is there a recommended spam application for Exchange 2000 that someone recommends?

Greetings,

I assume you mean ANTI-spam application?? ;)

Assuming you don't want another company, like MessageLabs, to do the work for you, there are a number of possibilities.

First places to look:

Microsoft

If you implement the above before looking for third-party products, that would be the first thing I'd do.

MSExchange.org

Other groups have discussed this problem as well:

The above discussion has a poster who wasn't impressed with the Editor's Choice from MSExchange.org (!)

Kindest regards,

James

Yes I meant AntiSpam. :)

Does any of these provide PGP encryption of E-mail for us or is there another solution of PGP encryption on the server side?

Digatle

Wonder why that poster didn't like the GFI software (since he didn't say nor qualify "disaster").

We are about to deploy the GFI software. Are there known issues that I haven't run into when using it?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Greetings,

I'm sure if you check the info for the various packages you'd find out - :)

But, if you insist on my telling you the short version then, yes. :D

GFI does support encryption - I'm not sure though, which ones would be compatible with PGP...I'm afraid your are going to have to read the specifications for the various packages.

Kindest regards,

James

Greetings,

Lander215, I did some further research to see were there any issues/problems with the GFI product and found a thread which pointed out a couple of gripes:

1) GFI MainlEssentials has to be on a different server to Exchange, otherwise they lock each other;
2) Updating involves uninstalling the old version, which apparently means that you lose all your custom settings/configuration.

See:

I would have thought there was a way to save/preserve your settings...?

Kindest regards,

James

Thanks.

It's odd though about them saying it has to be installed on a server other than the Exchange server. I installed it on a test system with Exchange installed and it seemed to work without any issues. In fact, I thought you had to install it on the Exchange server to get the Spam filtering capabilities.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

We use MailEssentials on our Exchange2K server without problems. There are two separate sets of instructions for installing ME, one if it's on the same server as Exchange and one if it isn't.

Also, updating installs over top of the old version. During the installation routine, you can optionally select to uninstall the older version, in which case it saves your settings and applies them to the new version.

Mark

I've also researched Mail Essentials and from what I gather its preferable to install it on the same server Exchange 2000 resides on. I have it installed on a test system and I see no problems. I have no idea where it is noted anywhere that Exchange and Mail Essentials locks each other. From what I have read and researched this appears to be a great product. MCP Magazine rates this high. This product has a neat feature. The Bayesian filter. As with any product you should print out the manual and read up on it. GFI Mail Essentials also has a 60 day Eval. So you can try it for 60 days to see if you like it or not. Check it out at

I've add GFI MailEssentials running in production for about 3 months, no issues here. Just upgrade to Version 9, did an uninstall of version 8 and install version 9 into the same directory, settings are kept!

Do any of these support server side pgp keys so I don't have to do it at the user level?

Digatle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back