Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spaces 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerGal

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
How do I create spaces in html that will be visible in Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape. I have come across <SPACER> but this does not work in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
I have to take the table out of a html page and this is why I need some means of spacing out to form two columns. Alternatively (and better) is there a way I can specify the position I want to start on a line.

Thank you a lot!

some people use a 1px * 1px transparent image to apply space, you can set the width or the height of the image to what you need the space dimensions to be.

Alternatively you could use absolute positioning or hard coding of width and height on divs or spans to create colums

Q--&quot;Alternatively (and better) is there a way I can specify the position I want to start on a line.&quot;
A--Yes there is. You can position anything either relatively or absolutely like this:
<!--absolutely-->
<div style=&quot;position:absolute;left:10px;top:15px;&quot;>I am the text!</div>
<!--relatively-->
<div style=&quot;position:relative;left:10px;top:15px;&quot;>I am the text!</div>

To make a 2 coloumn layout from this, do this:
<div style=&quot;position:absolute; left:10px; top:15px; width:200; height:100%;&quot;>I am the text in the first div.</div>
<div style=&quot;position:absolute; left:210px; top:15px; width:600; height:100%;&quot;>I am the text in the second div.</div>

Rick If I have helped you just click the first link below to let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back