Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space Related Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotbuff

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
US
We have been using Linux on Mainframe partitions for a while now and I have some space items I am curious about. We are using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8, the 2.4.19 kernel.

I see that my volume groups can have a max of 256 Logical Volumes and a max of 256 Physical Volumes. I am guessing this means I can have a max of 256 Volume Groups as well?

Also, when adding new physical volumes to zipl.conf and after running zipl and rebooting we issue dasdfmt to the new device, for example /dev/dasdd. What happens if we go the entire way to /dev/dasdz, what determines this name? What comes next, or is there a way to define any name we want?

Sorry if this is a basic question. I tried searching around and have not found anything regarding this, maybe my search terminology is not exactly right. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Scott

Isn't a logical volume /dev/dasd1, /dev/dasd2, ...?
This would mean 256 logical PER physical but it's just guess.

Perhaps /dev/dasdA comes after /dev/dasdz, or perhaps /dev/dasdaa ab ac .. ba, bb, .. ix?

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back