Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space Reclamation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
I currently have my space reclamation like this, but I am not getting enough scratch tapes:

RCLAIMCPY100 03/17/98 18:00:00 1 H 1 D WD
RECLAM100 03/12/98 18:00:00 1 H 1 D WD
RECLAM60 01/05/02 13:30:00 1 H 1 D Any

What is the recommened way of doing this?

What kind of stgpool are you reclaiming? onsite or offsite? What reclaim percentages are you using?
Are you running a regular inventory expiration?

Steven

I am reclaming my primary stgpools. I am doing 55%. And yes, I am running regular inventory. On some docs, it seems the this method really does not preserve my scratch tapes.

I will just buy more tapes!

:)

With the space reclamation threshold set to 55%, this means that 55% of the data have to be expire before the tape can eb reclaimed.

The 45% is the valid data.
From two tapes we can move 45% of the data on to one scratch tape.

If we increase the space reclamation threshold to something like 65 or 75, we may be able to move the data from three tapes onto one scratch tape.

Also look at the copy group setting, are we keeping too many version and/or are we keeping the files too long?

Another think to check is how many database backup are we keeping? Are we keeping too many database backup?
Should keep the database backup for about 14-30 days, I we restore a database that was done 2 months ago we lose two months worth of data. Then again the actual data may have expire and we just restore pointers to files that no longer exist.

Good Luck,
Sias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back