Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadako

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
I'm not sure if this is a computer issue or if it's an issue with my hard drive or what. But it was fine a few days ago. I had a good gig or so of space on my computer (Win 98, older).

But all of a sudden it's down to anywhere between 98-110MB left. For no reason I can figure out. When I first noticed it, it was 220MB. I cleaned out about 600MB of files and it read this until I restarted to which it DUMPED into the forementioned range.

It's currentl;y at 75MB. ANd I have to clean my computer off every few hours, because it tells me I'm out of space.

I'm really confused, do you know what could be causing this?

Sounds nasty. The first thing I'd be doing is checking for a virus. Also, does the PC report the correct size for your Hard Disk?

Do you know what is actually filling up the space? EG are they Temp files (*.tmp)

Failing all that it could be the drive on the way out but it's not a symptom I've seen before for a failing drive.

The key question though is, what are the files you're cleaning off every few hours? That would help to identify the problem

I agree. It certainly sounds as if yoiu have a virus replicating itself. Run your virus checker and kill it. Failing that you may need to reformat and reload. You will not have enough room to downloaD a virus checker and run it. If you do not have a virous checker, there is a decent one at You can't survive on the net without one these days......Dave

I've done a virus check, three times actually, and a spyware check, but I couldn't pick up anything. It says the right ammount of space for the drive, which would be 9-something GBs (I can't remember the exact number).

I don't know what's taking up the space, either. But what I've been clearing off is anything I can to make for more space temporarly. Like Temporary Internet Files, the recycle bin, images, MP3s, ect.

Shot in the dark - are you using Norton SystemWorks? If so, when you delete files, they are sent to a "protected file" area. Right click on recycle bin and look for "empty protected files".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back