Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Space around image 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swi

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
I have spacing in between some of my images. Any ideas on what I may be missing? Here is the site. I am actually going to be using it for an email blast.

Thanks.

Swi

Which images? The entire page is full of images. Can you be more specific?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I got it worked out. The word SALE in red.

Thanks.

Swi

I don't see anything worked out in the sample linked above. "SALE" is still split.

This HTML for email is a bit nutty. Just make a single image of the entire page and use image maps for links.

I am glad you specified cynic. [bigsmile]

I've been a member of Tek-Tips for a while now and would hope that I would not stoop so low.

Image maps would not work as far as I know on all email clients. Yes, there is a View It In Your Browser link but the goal is to receive an email that is eye pleasing across potentially all email clients.

You are also correct in saying that the HTML is nutty however this rather nutty HTML as you call it came from a HTML code generator (Mail Chimp) and it was lobbed over the fence to me by our marketing department to fix at the last moment. I had 1 or 2 hours to get it working before the blast. Gotta love Marketing.

Also, you are correct, on that link it is not fixed but in the below one it is.

The quick fix was a negative px in the margin-bottom value. It was a hack but worked nonetheless in the turn around time I had to work with.

MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.... generate bloated HTML, inline styles, etc.... but unfortunately quite often I need to work with the hand I'm dealt.

Thanks for the comments.

Swi

Sorry Swi if I doubted you - I looked at your profile and you have been around for ages as you say.
I don't think that spamjim was referring to an image map but a single image. The links wouldn't work of course but keeping marketting simple is a good ploy. That is a lot of info for people to read in an email. I have found a simple link, to the page hosted on your site, is more effective for those wanting to know more.

Keith

Keith,

I totally agree with you. Simple is better however trying to communicate that to our Marketing Department is like talking to a wall. :)

Swi

Swi, you've linked to a 2007 article. And it even leads with a correction/link to a newer test. You can also link to a 2010 article that says that Hotmail does not work with image maps. These articles are all old and now inaccurate. Image mapping is fine. Grab a free email address with these providers and prove for yourself.

Thank you for the correction, however if one is still running Outlook 2007 or even 2010 it sounds like the issue may still arise in these. Everywhere I look this lack of image map support seems to come out in these Outlook versions.

Swi

I wouldn't risk it and if a potential customer clicks just one link then it may as well be to your website, where the selling can begin. The selling process should be a chain, where subsequent pages guide customers through the various offers and continue to keep presenting, interesting items to tempt them.

If marketting think that the best way forward, is to present a single page containing numerous offers then they would be better employed working on newspapers as the internet has a lot more to offer than that.

Keith

audio I completely agree with you. I have been in marketing communications but do a lot of design and some development as I enjoy that as well and it amazes me every time I come across a marketing professional who just tries to jam as much in an email as they can humanly possible.

My pleas to keep emails simple and focused and drive traffic to the website to force conversions, although seems logical and elementary, soar over their head as they stare at me with that look that says, "I know more than you so just do it."

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Unfortunately we do not have the benefit of their experience gained sat in a classroom, listening to a lecturer who couldn't make it in the real world so decided to teach a non academic subject instead. I too have worked with these people and they do have some weird ideas. They will quote philosophers and psycologists in order to cover up their lack of skills.

Keith

...if one is still running Outlook 2007 or even 2010 it sounds like the issue may still arise in these. Everywhere I look this lack of image map support seems to come out in these Outlook versions.

Are you reading that Outlook cannot read image maps or that Outlook cannot create image maps? Take a second look. If you are not using Outlook to create your messages, you are still fine with image maps.

This worry about image map support is very minor in comparison to the mistake of creating an entire message in images (which may not even load by the users' default view settings).

...if a potential customer clicks just one link then it may as well be to your website, where the selling can begin...

This is actually bad (or at least a very unpopular) practice because it hurts the sender and receiver. Marketers track the individual links that people click from these messages - this is valuable behavior data. On the other end, the customer already knows what they want from this email - they should not be bothered to find it again with additional clicks once they get to the web site. This email is the first (and must be the best) impression. That is why marketers try to "jam as much in an email as they can". Conversion rates for email campaigns are very very low. You cannot wait to market after the recipient clicks through to your web site.

Side note:
Keith, I clicked on your signature link and my security software blocked something odd on your homepage. You may want to check that you don't have some injected code there. (JS/Kryptik.ADZ, maybe?)

Thanks Jim - I'll look into it.
Out of interest, what software detected it as none of the stuff on our machines uttered a dick bird?
Conversion rates are low for email campaigns but it is a cheap way of getting the message across to people. I may not be a typical punter but I would prefer to look round the website of a company offering products of interest to me rather than keep returning to the email.

Keith

Keith,

AVG detected it here on my home laptop. It was a blackhole exploit.

Although, you must have already fixed the issue as I do not get the error anymore.

Thanks.

Swi

Thanks, very odd all this, I virus checked all of the files for the site on my local machine and found them all to be clean. Then I uploaded them to the server, be interested to know how the infection got on there and what other harm it has done.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back