Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP6 removal - not this easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waidesworld

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
We need to unnstall SP6. The tech who decided to put on a Windows NT box did so errantly and didn't install the "uninstall" option. As a result the systems boots saying we have SP6 but we don't have the obvious remove option from the Add/Remove programs. I was wondering if I were to reload SP6 adding the option this time around, would I get away with it?

TIA

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Not sure you would, as previous versions of files already overwritten - so installing SP6 would just back up the SP6 files installed previously (probably) as if they were from previous SP (not sure how clever NT SP install is - certainly less so than 2k/XP).

Will it let you install the service pack level you do want over SP6? (if it complains about current SP level, it may be checking the registry - I can't remember where, but the service pack level is held there somewhere - editing it to lower number might allow install).

on the other hand - if this is a new install - it only takes 20 minutes to install NT - why not just do a clean install?

I can't do a clean install as there is a mutlitude of software on the system, that happens to only work with SP5 and hasn't been tested thoroughly with SP6. I will root around in the registry and see if I can find the SP level and then if I can change that I will try and install SP5.

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back