Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP4 failed now Exchange Server won't Start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblewis

MIS
Jun 25, 2003
US
We just tried to apply SP4 to our Exchange 2000 (SP3) server. The Service Pack hung (or at least so it appeared after a long wait) and when we tried to restart it manually, we got a message saying it would roll back. When it (nearly) restart we got the following message:

STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate DLL}
The Dynamic Link Library winsrv could not be found in the specified path Default Load Path

It locks the machine (Dell PE4600) up hard, as the power switch won't shut it off. We have to pull the power cords out of the back.

Any suggestions?!?! (don't bother sending me email!)

4600s have soft option to press the start button continuously for 5 secs to turn it off.

Try F8 boot and choose last known good as it sounds like you didn't get to log on. If you got past logon, rerun the SP.

In addition,

I found this information on Microsoft's site:

Doug: I believe you are referring to either a STOP 0x00000135 in Winsrv.dll which is usually caused by a corrupted or invalid software registry hive, or a STOP 0xC0000135 (unable to locate DLL), which is usually caused by a missing or corrupt Winsrv.dll file. To resolve the second STOP, install a parallel install of Window NT or 2000 and copy over Kernel32.dll, Ntdll.dll, Win32k.sys, User32.dll, and Winsrv.dll. For more information, please see Knowledge Base article Q173309 "Blue Screen STOP Message C0000135 Appears at Startup".

Also, if you had started the installation of a Service Pack - and it failed to install - you may get this error becase of the wrong versions of DLLs installed. One way to fix this is:

1. Boot up an alternate version of Windows (Windows PE is great for this).

2. Look for the directory \%windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst

3. In that directory you'll find a spuninst.bat file -make sure the path references relate to the right drive letters - and then run the file. The batch file resturns all files back to the previous versions.. this worked for me!

I had sp4 hang - it would reboot but would not finish the installation. The install routine hangs because it thinks it does not have enough disk space to continue (this was odd as it have about 5gb to spare).
"service pack 1 (sp1) setup requires 5 mb of disk space"
However you do not see the error message as the machine has not started up yet.

Then as a consequence it would not display the start menu window. Still waiting for you respond to the error message that you do not see I guess.
To fix it CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager from there you can get regedit to go from the run command in order to remove the offending entry for service patch :-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Once that was removed it booted OK.
I then ran sp4 from another disk that it did not think had insufficient disk space.
Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back