Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP2 and the Initialize a disk wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB
I rebuilt a server yesterday and as part of my initial activities loaded service pack 2 onto it.

I then connected up my USB connected SATA hard disk drive to transfer some data back onto my rebuilt Windows 2003 server.

Despite the fact that this particular external disk was already formatted using NTFS and that it contained a few GB of data, the act of connecting it up to my server kicked off the "Initialize a basic disk" wizard.

I duly went through the wizard and the result was that the disk now appears in computer management without a drive letter. Also, and more importantly for me I can't see any of the data that was originally on the disk.

The disk now reports that it is in an unformatted (RAW) state. I'm loathed to lose the data on this external drive so I was hoping that someone knew how to revert the changes that were made by the wizard.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with SP2 or is this just an unfortunate coincidence?

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back