Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP1 / SP2 - Slipstream? - Non techy confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binnit

Technical User
Apr 28, 2004
US
I only recently applied SP1 to my home PC (stand alone PC with XPpro) not being a systems admin or anything I am not very familier with some of the technical aspects contained within some of the postings in this forum.

When SP2 becomes available for me (being a standard home user in UK) should I just allow the update or uninstall SP1?

Does SP2
1. Overwrite all previous SP1 updates?
2. Uninstall SP1 updates?
3. Ignore SP1 updates leaving the $NTUninstall type folders lying around within the Windows folder?

Given the choice, is it best to use automatic update or obtain the CD? (I am on broadband)

Are there any benefits to doing a complete clean install and then apply SP2 only?

In simple terms, what is meant by Slipstream? and does this apply to home users such as myself.

Give me too many choices and I get confused!

If IT ain’t working Binnit and Reboot

SP2 is quite capable of managing its own installation - meaning that having SP1 installed before is not an issue.
Given that youhave broadband, you can let Auto Updates take care of doing the job. On the other hand, if you think that you might be resintalling your PC at some point in the future, it might be a good idea to request the CD so that can reinstall at will without having to download again.
I do not see any particular benefit in a clean install, other than being sure your registry is as clean as can be. If you already have a lot of applications installed, it is more of a hassle than anything else.
Slipstreamed is simply supposed to mean that SP2 will download in the background and install in the background. Nice to know that MS can totally modify your OS remotely without you noticing anything, isn't it ?

For the moment, I would hold off on installing SP2. I am waiting to hear what breaks and how seriously. Once the uproar will have died down, then I'll think about installing it.

Pascal.

Pascal
Your comments have helped to clarify my options, I will hang on for a while and indeed request a cd for future use if required.

Thanks for explaining the slipstream, umm yep bit disconcerting that MS can do this, makes you wonder who else and what else can jump aboard this process method.

I tend to do a clean install every 12-18 months so I will "go automatic" with SP2 when ready to take the plunge and then will get the cd ordered and ready for next HDD wipe.
Thanks again

I think we need to clarify the explaination of Slipstream.

Slipstreaming is the process to creating a new windows XP installation CD that contains all of the updates in SP2. This gives systems administrators a new installation media that installs XP and SP2 at the sametime. Slipstreaming is a good idea for everyone. If in future you need to reinstall you will not need to reapply SP2. Forum member bcastner is in the process of writing a Slipstream FAQ so give that a read when it is finished.

MS can not modify your OS unless you have Automatic Updates turned on, in that case you have give MS permission to do this. I think pmonett is thinking about the great way they have managed to work automatic update for SP2 in the background. The network installation of SP2 is 266MB, while the home version will be substancially smaller. Imagine downloading that on a Dial-Up connection. Not only would it consume all of your bandwidth but you would need to be online for several days. MS have tried to incorporate the new SP2 download in such a way that doesn't impeed your connection speed when using the internet and will install in the background so that the performance of your PC does not suffer when it is being installed.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Gregg
Thanks for your additional notes, I will read Bills FAQ about slipstreaming when he has posted it. If its not to complicated I will give it a bash!

For what it's worth we have been testing XP2 on a number of machines both from a clean install and onto SP1 machines with lots of apps installed and we have had very few problems. A couple of apps from small vendors have caused problems, probably due to lazy programming and testing on their part as XP2 has been available for testing for some time now.

In our situation the benefits have far outweighed any problems, the firewall is greatly improved and we use this on all our laptops it's far less intrusive than Zonealarm.

Just an opinion but I’d recommend installing it especially on a home PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back