Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SP Proc to move data to a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

efree47

Programmer
Sep 28, 2010
US
Currently I have an SQL stored proc that calls a web service to retrieve data for a report. To pull the data takes a long time. Is there a way in SQL that I can schedule the proc to return all the information and put it into a table every 10 minutes? Then I could just report off that table which would be much faster and easier.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The SQL Agent is not included with SQL Express (the free version of SQL Server).

With SQL Agent, you can call a stored procedure on a schedule. To do this...

open SQL server Management Studio.
Expand "SQL Server Agent" in the Object Explorer window
Right click "Jobs"
Click "New Job"

Step through the screens to schedule your stored procedure to run every 10 minutes.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

It could also be your stored procedure script is inefficiently doing the data pull. Or the issue is with the network. For example, if you are in California and the server is in Florida, the issue might be the network between the two places.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back