Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Source: ESE EventID: 906

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
Recently, I've started getting the following warnings in my Exchange 2010 server's application log.
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        ESE
Date:          1/3/2011 10:06:02 PM
Event ID:      906
Task Category: Performance
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ServerName.Domain.com
Description:
Information Store (6800) A significant portion of the database buffer cache has been written out to the system paging file.  This may result in severe performance degradation. 
See help link for complete details of possible causes. 
Resident cache has fallen by 240438 buffers (or 99%) in the last 50341 seconds. 
Current Total Percent Resident: 0% (414 of 260621 buffers)
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">[/URL]
  <System>
    <Provider Name="ESE" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">906</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>7</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-04T04:06:02.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>144764</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ServerName.Domain.com</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Information Store</Data>
    <Data>6800</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>240438</Data>
    <Data>99</Data>
    <Data>50341</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>414</Data>
    <Data>260621</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
I've done some Google searching and have not found much that seems applicable to me. The server should have plenty of "oompf" for ~150 users.
Dual 2.5 Ghz Xeon proc
16 GB memory
2 Databases (1 is ~33.5 Gb, the other is ~76 Gb) running on a RAID 10.
Daily full backups that purge the transaction logs after a successful backup.
I can't figure out what seems to be causing this, but it seems to happen about twice a day, but the times vary. It happened at about 10 PM last night, so it will likely happen at about 10 AM this morning. I'm going to fire up ProcessMonitor at about that time and see if I'm lucky and happen to catch when it's running. I've not had any luck with catching it so far. I'm hoping some one else has perhaps run across this and could offer some advice.

I didn't manage to catch it with ProcessMonitor, however, I was going through the old logs paying more attention to what was just before the warning. It was just an informational message and it kept escaping my attention. So far, I've noticed that before every one of these ESE warnings is a McAfee Event. Says the McShield service started. So my guess is that when McAfee is checking for updates (and I'm pretty sure McAfee checks for updates about every 12 hours) finds a DAT update and applies it, it's causing my system to have to right everything from buffer. This would explain why it seems to happen on a some what regular schedule, yet not all the time. Thankfully, were getting rid of the McAfee ASAP/Total Protection software on our servers. It's never really run well on the servers. Works good for the desktops but on the servers it's always been problematic despite McAfee's claims that it's compatible with servers. We are switching to Endpoint on the servers. It's more of a "stand alone" product like VirusScan was. Hopefully after we get teh Endpoint installed I'll see these errors go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back