Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Source Code Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Burton

Programmer
Sep 28, 2021
GB
Hi All.

I'm looking for some recommendations here.

we are a Team of 4 developers with a range of quite large VFP 9 applications ( and also we have .net c# too - That is controlled ok in TFS

Currently VFP is source controlled in VSS

The problem we are having is that of a testing bottleneck, which means that if a program / form etc is changes for a requirement, and checked in to VSS so our tester can do a new build to test. if another (or same) developer needs to make changes to the same program / from etc, that can't be done until the first requirement has passed testing, as we can't branch in VSS

I'm reliably told that TFS can't fully support vfp code base.

Logic, tells me that there must be a solution for this, it doesn't have to be free, as a commercial entity we are used to paying for proper solutions

So I think we need a Source code control system that would support multiple branches and merging of code

Has anybody got any suggestions / how do you all deal with this situation - team development being quite different to individual efforts

Thanks

Colin

The only real problem is merging.

You can treat anything as binary fiels and use TFS for VFP projects, too, there's no problem with that. You can also do braches, you can shelf changes, etc.

But you can't merge changes of say a form method.

I never had to do this, even in cases we did teamwork we managed to have no overlaps and bring things together without needing these fine grained merges within the same library or form.

But TwoFox promises to do that: - first download.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back