Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Source and destination of IDE Buses are the same!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

binderjeep

Technical User
Dec 27, 2000
CA
i am running Nero burning ROM V.5 when i try to copy a cd it says my IDE BUs controller has the same source and destination and it highly reccommeneds i change this before i burn and if i ignore it won't burn what can i do.

don.laughlin@sympatico.ca

What part of the buses are the same exactly. This seems a little vague. If you can find out what part is the same, perhaps you could then change it, either in the bios or most probably within the windows-system properties section. James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

The best I can offer on this limited amount of info is that it sounds like it's telling you that your CD-ROM source drive is on the same channel of your IDE controller as the CD writer is on....meaning you have both drives as master and slave on one channel(i.e. the secondary master and secondary slave). For best performance when writing CDs it is ALWAYS preferrable to have the source of the information being burned on a separate channel from the writer, that way you're using the limited bandwidth of the IDE channel in only one direction, to the writer....If you have both devices on the same channel then the limited amount of bandwidth has to be split up between reading information from the source AND sending it back up the IDE cable to the writer. A setup like this is likely to cause a lot of problems when trying to duplicate CDs. Most prebuilt computers typically have the HD as primary master then have the CD writer and CD-ROM drives sharing the secondary channel....without changing the setup of the system, these setups will perform best when writing CDs from CD images on the hard drive because the HD and writer are on separate channels. I'd suggest either trying to create your copies from CD images or reattaching your IDE devices to the IDE controller in a new fashion.

If none of this helps, please supply us more information on your system's setup and configuration....ten we might be able to offer some other suggestions =)
Greatwhite, HP Pavilion Phone Technician

I agree with Greatwhite :eek:)

You have 2 IDE connectors on your motherboard, the way you connect your drives depends on how you use them most... but having your burner on IDE 2 and your HDD as master on IDE 1 with your regular CD as a slave on IDE 1 seems to work fine - just when you are installing things from CD use your burner and use your CD for playing games and stuff.

AidanEnos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back