Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soundrecorder.exe from Windows 7, 8 not working in Windows 10 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManniB

Programmer
Nov 9, 2020
DE
Hello,

in Windows 10 they removed the old soundrecorder.exe which was present in earlier Versions of Windows like Windows 8.1, 8 and 7. Now, Windows 10 comes only with a "Voice Recorder App".

I'm trying to get the old soundrecorder running again, because I programatically use it to make sound recordings in my application and save the files in certain destinations etc. which I would otherwise need to adapt to the Voice Recorder App and I don't know it's even possible.

When copying the soundrecorder.exe from an older windows or downloading it from this website ([URL unfurl="true"]https://www.exefiles.com/en/exe/soundrecorder-exe/[/url]) to a Windows 10 system, after double clicking soundrecorder.exe, there appears just a blank Window with no sound recorder.
Also when I copy the file in the Windows/system32 folder, it still won't work.

Are there any ideas of how to get the soundrecorder.exe running in Windows 10?

Thanks,
Manni

You also have to do the following:
[ol 1]
[li]Copy WavDest.dll to System32 folder.[/li]
[li]Register WavDest.dll from an elevated command prompt (i.e. REGSVR32 WavDest.dll)[/li]
[li]Copy SoundRecorder.exe.mui to System32\en-US folder (or whatever MUI folder your system uses).[/li]
[/ol]

After that SoundRecorder should work... it does for me in Win 10 Home 1909 x64:

soundrecorder_zzmv1x.png

Hope this helps...

Sorry I can't answer your question about SoundRecorder.EXE. But, if you can't find a solution, you might consider using Total Recorder instead ( It has a command-line interface which lets you start a recording and then saving it to an MP3 or other audio file of your choice.

I obtained a copy of this product 17 years ago and have been using it regularly ever since. As far as I remember, it is not free, but it is not very expensive either.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hi Rick,
it's awesome to hear that you managed to get Sound Recorder to work on Windows 10! I will try your steps, but where did you get the files WavDest.dll and SoundRecorder.exe.mui from ? A folder on Windows 8 for example?

Mike, thank you for the tip, it's good to know about this alternative sound recorder.

Thanks,
Manni

WavDest.dll and SoundRecorder.exe.mui are standard/default system files in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. I used the ones from Windows 7 Pro as I still have such a device up-and-running (so it was easy to check with Sysinternals/TechNet's Process Explorer what support files were needed to run the Sound Recorder executable within Windows 7. [Disclaimer: I have no affiliation... just a fan.]).

The default locations for Windows 7 are:
[ul]
[li]C:\Windows\System32\SoundRecorder.exe[/li]
[li]C:\Windows\System32\WavDest.dll[/li]
[li]C:\Windows\System32\en-US\SoundRecorder.exe.mui[/li]
[/ul]

I use an English (UK) install rather than the default English (United States) so in Windows 8 the default MUI * file is actually in C:\Windows\System32\en-GB rather than Windows 7's C:\Windows\System32\en-US folder. As the Sound Recorder executable has so few GUI options it really doesn't make any difference... just search your own relevant MUI folders. (IMO, the free, portable version of Everything is really good for such a search... and super-fast. [Disclaimer: I have no affiliation... just a fan.]

Note that even though the Sound Recorder executable and support files are default system files, you don't actually have to store them in \System32 (and MUI sub-folder). On the plus side it just makes it easier and saves having to fiddle with the system's environment variables/PATH statement. On the minus side, you have to deal with UAC elevation during the 'copy/paste' process (but just the once). Either way, you must register the DLL using REGSVR32 once it has been copied over, no matter where you end up storing it.

(*MUI = Multi-User Interface, i.e. language translations)

Hope this helps...

Thank you, Rick! I have now been able to make SoundRecorder run on Windows 10 now thanks to your information. However, I found out, the files have to be in the Windows\system32 folder or windows\syswow64 folder. When I just place all of the files in another directory and use regsvr32 to register WavDest.dll then Soundrecorder.exe is not working. Why is that?

Process Explorer is a very intersting program, I might need it in the future.

If you place the files in a different folder to where the system expects to find them then, in addition to registering the DLL, you also have to amend the system by adding the filepaths to the PATH environment variable.

You can see what filepaths are already included by opening a commandline window and entering the command path on its own. (Note that it must be a commandline window, not PowerShell. If you open a PowerShell window then enter cmd to change it to a commandline then enter path.)

Have a look at this How to Add to and Edit Windows Path Variable article for more info.

It's easier just to store them within Windows sub-folders (\System32, etc.) as this is already included by the PATH environment variable.

Process Explorer is awesome, particularly for examining registry changes as they occur... but has a bit of a learning curve. Google process explorer video and have a look at some of the many instructional videos available to help you get the most out of it.

Hope this helps...

Point of clarity 1:
MUI = Multilingual User Interface

Point of clarity 2:
COM DLLS that can be registered do not need to be in folders in the path

>path

In Powershell you can indeed display this, using: $Env:path

Thank you Rick and strongm.

Yes, when I put the DLL file on another location and then register it, it is working, too.

However Soundrecorder.exe has to be in the system32 or syswow64 directory, to be working. I don't understand why I can't open Soundrecorder.exe, if the file is not palced the system32 or syswow64 directory. How does this relate to the path?

When I open cmd and type "path", a few paths are shown, including c:\windows\system32. I'm wondering why c:\windows\syswow64 is not one of it.

Thanks,
Manni

Hi Rick, I have another question concerning Soundrecorder.exe:

When I want to install Soundrecorder programatically on a Windows 10 PC using InstallShield Express (32-bit installer), I can't register the file WavDest.dll automatically -- I guess because it's a 64-bit Dll.

Therefore, I got the idea to take a 32-bit Soundrecorder from Windows Vista and make it work on Windows 10. However, if I copy the three files (Soundrecorder.exe, WavDest.dll and Soundrecorder.exe.mui) from Vista into system32 or syswow64 on a Windows 10 system and regsvr32 the dll file, Soundrecorder from Vista is not working. There is just a blank Window opening.

Do you have an idea, of how to make a previous 32-bit Version of Soundrecorder work on Windows 10 (the big advantage: my Installer might be able to regiser the dll-file instead of giving a error message).

Thanks,
Manni

I don't have nor have I ever used Installshield Express (32-bit installer) but having to use a 32-bit version of SoundRecorder.exe in a 64-bit OS because of InstallShield Express limitations seems the wrong approach IMO.

Instead, if I had to do similar, I would probably try creating a self-extracting executable using something like WinRAR that lets you run commands before and after extraction of any files in the archive. I haven't actually tested whether this works to completion but the initial creation of an SFX installer would end up looking something like the following:

soundrecorderinstall_aqgfiy.png

In the screenshot the 'comment' is actually the command that would be run after extraction of the files in the archive.

I used WinRAR as an example 'cos I'm more familiar with it but 7-Zip and WinZIP also allow creation of self-extracting archives.

Alternatively, if you're going to be doing stuff like this regularly, use PowerShell's built-in commands to do the unzipping, file placement and DLL registration for you. The problem with PowerShell IMO is that it has a steep learning curve and it's almost impossible to create standalone executables unless you buy something like Sapien's PowerShell Studio. Instead I would use something like AutoHotkey to build executables which can run elevated and embed files in.

Note also that I've been retired for nearly a decade so I have no idea what is best practice these days. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.

Hope this helps...

Hi Rick,

thank you for your ideas. I have been able to register the DLL file programmatically by using a ShellExecute command of winapi32. However, the user still has to make an extra click to confirm that admin rights are used.

I wanted to install Soundrecorder together with other tools using InstallShield Express, so the user only once at the beginning of the installation has to confirm the administration rights window. This is the reason, why I would like to let Installshield do the registration (can't move away from Installshield for the other tools).

Would an executable built with AutoHotkey also lead to an extra window opening on Windows 10, when the files is run, because admin rights are needed?

Thanks,
Manni

Ah - this now sounds like you are trying to redistribute soundrecorder, which is a licence violation, I'm afraid. I suspect it is unlikely that MS or anyone are policing this, but thought you should be made aware.

Yes, using AutoHotkey - even with self-elevation - will still invoke a User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

Thanks Rick, then I guess using a 64-bit installer is the only way to register 64-bit dll files "on the fly" during installation.

strongman, thanks for your remark, I'm aware.

As I said, I've been retired for nearly a decade so am not au fait with current best practice. However I believe the open-source NSIS can be used to build 64-bit installers. Worth a look?

Thanks Rick, maybe I will try 64-bit installers in the future, but now I have to use Installshield Express (32-bit). I guess there is no other way to register a 64-bit DLL than to do it after the setup/installation and it will need another confirmation from the user.

Windows Sound Recorder files such as SoundRecorder.exe utilize the EXE file extension. The file is considered a Win32 EXE file.
If you remember what they write on the Internet, then most often SoundRecorder.exe errors that occur during the program's operation lead to an abnormal termination of its work. Sometimes these messages say that Windows could not find this file at startup, sometimes you can read that the file is damaged. Windows will not be able to start without resolving these errors. Did you know that it is extremely important to keep your antivirus up to date and perform regular system scans? You can find more details here on Or just google your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back