Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey62

MIS
Jul 16, 2002
US
I can hear my sound card when I detect it in sys properties.

I tried to download realplayer but no luck on hearing mp3s

any ideas?

which linux are you running. normally running 'sndcfg' or 'sndconfig' is required to get the card all sorted out.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Run realplayer from the command line and post the error. Probably a 'permission denied' on /dev/audio or similar. Make sure your user has write perms on the device (add to group audio is typical solution). As another test, su to root, then run from the command line (may have to 'xhost +localhost' first). If that doesn't work... ;-)

----
JBR

I have xmms installed still no luck
running redhat 8.0

"I can hear my sound card when I detect it in sys properties."

What do you hear? A ding noise? Are you sure it is from the speakers and not the computer POST speaker?

IS the driver loading when you boot (emu101k?).

Did you double click on the speaker to bring up the Volume Control panel and ensure it isn't muted. Sounds stupid, but problems usually are. What if you play a CD? Can you hear that through the speakers?

Sean.

Sndconfig

Has anybody come across the problem of sound control, the device is detected, Intel corporation 82801DB from an IBM 6221, OS is Redhat 7.2. The revision for module.conf contains the relevant data.

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

Sound does play but is very low & I am unable to change the volume control. I would grateful for any advise. Funstur

sometimes you only have to turn the volume up.

On console, start aumix.
(On KDE: kmix, on Gnome: ?)
Move the volume-control up and save the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back