Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soundcard Problems In Windows 2000 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

Can anybody out there tell me if there is a fix for a problem with sound using Windows 2000 Professional. I have standard hardware configuration Intel Pentium II-800, 128 Meg memory, NVIDIA GeForce DDR Graphics Card (32 Meg), Creative Soundblaster Live Value Sound Card, etc, etc. My problem is I have loaded the operating system succesfully and within the properties section I get no conflicts, but when I go to play a sound nothing appears from the speakers. I have tested this eqipment with Windows 98 and have no problems so I know this is a configuration problem. I am unable to alter the device settings as the option is greyed out.

I am using the supplied Windows 2000 drivers that plug and play detected upon installation. Even if I load a music CD into the CD-Player it starts playing the CD and the computer will play the whole CD with no errors.

Anybody out there had a similar problem ?

Kind Regards,

Alan Turney

email 1 : alanturney@aol.com

Are you using a VIA chipsrt? Do you have a network card installed. If you say yes to both then try first reinstalling the sound drivers (Manufacturers drivers) if that does not work let us know

What is the mobo?

If it uses a VIA chipset and AC97 on-board sound, you will need to disable it.

Creative's Liveware and drivers work fine with W2k/VIA/Creative. Get the latest ones from Creative's website.

Hope this helps

#1: Make sure you're plugging the speaker into the right hole on the Value card. It's not in the same spot as it was on older SB cards.

#2: Check mixer settings and volume knobs.

#3: From Creative support: Turn off the PNP OS setting in the BIOS on your PC when using a Live product with Win2K.

I also have a problem with my SBLive under Win2k. The sound is extremely loud. I turned the volume of my speakers down to a minimum and also does it with the volume control of the the creative mixer but it's still very loud. I didn't had this problem under WinME or Win98 and I installed the newest recommended drivers for the SBLive under Win2k.
Does anyone have any ideas, what I could do ?
(it makes a lot of trouble, because I'm a musician)

thanks a lot for any ideas !

Sebastian [cbasstn]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back