Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soundcard choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

snedie

Technical User
Dec 30, 2008
GB
Ok I may have posted this thread twice, just that I dont seem to be able to find the old one.

Okay here's the problem.

I want to buy a new soundcard, but am stuck for choice between these:

Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Channel PCI SoundCard Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel Sound Card (PCI-E 1) Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

All are priced from £95-£115, which is my price range.

Please could somebody cast a deciding vote please on which one to get.

You may want to help people out with ideas of what you want it for?
Gaming?
Music Recording?
Audio Processing?

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Oh yes I suppose that would make things a little clearer, the last post I did was a lot more detailed but I forgot that posts are previewed first and then I must subit them so the last one was lost :(.

Well I want it mainly for gaming and also for watching High def movies. I recently purchased the Logitech z-5500 and soon noticed that it was not performing as well as I had seen on other computers, which I instalntly realised was because of the poor quality of the on board sound card on the XFX 680i motherboard.

The thing I am finding hard to choose between is

Features-vs-Price-vs-Future Proofing

Each of these cards gives me one of the above, for example the Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel Sound Card (PCI-E 1) is futurproof in the regards that it is compatible with future audio software but the Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium gives me extra features in game such as encoding 2.1 stereo into 7.1 surround sound.

I am not too fussed about the price of any of them really, but I am unsure which one is a winner.

This is one market where there is a clear-cut winner and that is Creative, at least in the reviews I have read. They pretty much own the market. I'm sure the other cards are worthy candidates, but I would choose the X-Fi.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I'd choose Creative for no other reason than I have a 5 year old card and I can STILL get the drivers for it.

I have to laugh at "future proof", I'm still trying to get the quad core proccessor and ram to fit my "Future Proof" Socket 7 board....think I need a bigger hammer....
(one for the oldies there)

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

as for "Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 Channel Sound Card (PCI-E 1)" being "futurproof in the regards that it is compatible with future audio software":

You cannot talk about compatibility with something that does not exist yet.

For past 10+ years the standard has been something called ASIO and I doubt it will change in future except for revision numbers. Any decent Sound Blaster cards support ASIO so you are on the safe side with them.

Keep in mind contrary to X-Fi cards the Asus Xonar cards are fake PCI Express - they use bridge to actual PCI chip and hence require extra power to run. You would need to connect the floppy cable to be able to use one of these. They also fake EAX.

I am glad I choose the X-Fi then lol. Thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back