Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soundblaster audigy to home theater

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmann

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
CA
I'm trying to hook up the audio from the soundblaster audigy to a digital receiver. I have tried many different avenues to get this to work with no avail.

I am hooking the spdif output (all wires are correctly installed from dvd-rom into the soundcard)into a 75ohm spdif convertor into a digital coaxial cable, and then going from there into the receiver.

From various tips i have learned that the digital audio has to be checked on the audigy software program and that the dvd software actually has to be setup to only take 2 ch-stereo not 5.1 or DTS. (and i have tried it all possible ways that i can think of.)

I have also tried to use the motherboard ac97 sound and am getting the same results. The motherboard does have an spdif on it as well and i have disable the other card and enabled the ac97 on the bios. Still no luck.

If there are any other pointers or tips that anyone could give me it would be greatly appreciated.

on the receiver side, which input are you using to monitor the audigy output? on most receivers, its the "monitor" or "external decoder" input (or possibly a combination of an external input with a "monitor" button).

the confusion may be in verifying whether or not the recevier is actually getting the output from the card?

its tough to say without knowing exact receiver specs.

also- from the sounds of it you were using a dvd to test- have you tried plain windows sounds or WAV/MP3 files to test?

the receiver is a yamaha receiver and it is going through the digital coaxial input (only one available), it is set as tv/dbs. also tried with a plain wav/mp3 file with negative results.

Q

I believe that you dont have to hook up your SPDIF as the signal from the DVD drive is in digital form anyway. Try turning off the spdif on your card and turn on digital output in your audigy utilitys. I have the Audigy as well and in the setup, I simply told it that I wanted 5.1 output and it automaticly selected the digital cable as my output plug. I hooked my coax up to it (making sure it was the right way around. Remember that digital coax can only send the signal one way.) then hooked it up to my reciever and selected that input and away I went. All was good in the world.
Hope this helps you out. @ questions for you.
1. Is your coax diigital rated?
2. Is it the right way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back