Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Volume icon missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronano

Technical User
Apr 19, 2011
ME
Sound Volume icon disappeared from Task bar of my XP SP3 .
Try all what found on Google how to fix this, but without success.
I can display this icon after each Log off-Log on, but after restart icon disappear again.
Have no idea what I can try more to fix it. Need help to solve this problem.

I did this to bring it up. Not sure if it will solve it though

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices and tick the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" box.

The following webpage also offers how to do this using the registry:

The first proposal fix this problem just since next reboot.
The second one -(Registry modification), after reboot all remains as before - no Sound Volume Icon in the Task bar.
Thanks for assistance,

Just curious, have you checked the settings in the BIOS? I know it shouldnt show at all or appear muted if the Audio is disabled but worth a look. Tried reinstalling the audio driver?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Nothing is muted - all sounds are O.K. only Sound Volume Icon is missing.
As I mentioned, I can back it after Log Off-Log On.
, or if I kill EXPLORER EXE in Task Manager, and reactivate Explorer through Task Manager again.
In this case I delete two Registry entries previously and they are recreated after next reboot automatically , but unfortunately Sound Volume icon is not shown in the task bar.
This behavior is really very strange and belongs of Microsoft mystery.
I believe that IE8 is guilty for this problem, but how to fix it I have no idea, after many years and a lot of experience of PC use.

I havent seen 8 cause many issues as I have seen 9 which isnt available for XP. Are you up to date on Windows Updates? You never said if you tried an updated/new audio driver. Uninstall the old one and install a new one. Run a CCleaner before installing the new one.

Other two options are appearing to be a Windows Repair or an attempted System Restore.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back