Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound quality on 1408 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedphones

Vendor
Oct 11, 2005
US
We have a client with 1408 sets who notices (as have I) that they seem to hear distortion and hollowness mostly caused by the fact that they crank the handset volume to hear the far end person which in turns makes for a microphone that comes back around. If they speak loudly, they hear their own voice distorted. If they turn the volume down, it doesn't distort, but the far end it too faint.

Combo card is the part we are using. I have gone on the trunk side and played with the A>D db settings going to +2.5. It is marginally better. I have played with the Impedance and the phone's own Audio gain settings. Can't seem to get there.

I was considering trying a DS8 for the heck of it. Think it's a waste of time? Is the 1408 just not "quite as good"? Would a Partner ETR Card with 18D sets yield better results in anyone's opinion?

Thanks for any thoughts

what version on the IPO are you running. Avaya came out with a maintenance release for this issue.

Sorry Bdelmar,

I have been away from the forums for a while. It's a 7, but I don't believe it's the patched 7 like they had for the 6.1. I will double check. I saw the maintenance release you are referring to. Do you think it would help the handsets too? I thought it was just for speakerphone volume. The problem still exists, so I am working to resolve it. i swapped combo cards to a different lot, just in case.

It's not really bad at all, they are audio professionals who pick this up as do I if you crank the handset volume and then speak loudly into it. You get a small crackle of distortion of your own voice when you first speak. Still, we want them happy. I was also thinking of trying a DS8 just to see if the properties of it are just different enough.

Thanks for your input. I will let you all know what I find.

did you run the impedance test on the lines yet?
That helps sometimes too.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS

Google it you damn kids

Yes. ran the impedance test too. Didn't help. They even switch from Verizon to comcast for billing reasons. Didn't make a big difference. I can plug in a 6408 and it sounds fine. It may be the nature of the 1400 series phones. To clarify, this is not really that bad. We may all hear it everyday on every 1400 in the field and not even notice. These guys are just audio techs who have a fine tuned ear.

They all sit in a small room together, talk over each other, and crank the volume to the max so they can hear. When they speak into it, at least abrubtly, the first word has a little burst of distortion to it. The caller doesn't hear anything. It's just their own voice coming back at them. They played with the AGC controls, but weren't happy either.

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back