Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sound problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

Technical User
Sep 1, 2002
CA
When I start up windows I get a heavy, constant, pulsating static. Very annoying. So I go into dxdiag to figure out wtf is going on, I hit the directsound tab and click on test sound. My computer friggin restarts. :mad:

This prob came out of the blue after playing total annihilation for some time. Now when I play i get in the game and move my commnder, which triggers a sound and restarts my computer.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, updating drivers, troubleshooting drivers... No conflicts in devoce manager either.

I've tried different speakers, same prob. When I open sound properties the verticle bar that shows sound level is always in the red, and if I hit mute or turn the sound down it stops. That leads me to believe that the problem is software. The static starts when the desktop in windows is almost fully loaded.

Specs: Celeron 300
SB Live!
Monster Fusion 16mb
Acer Rewritable 32x8x4 read/write/rewrite
Acer CD Drive 50x (doesnt want to work, just makes screeching noises)
ect,ect,ect.

Please help, I've had this prob before and I fixed it in 5 min by fluke, now I can't remember how I did it. :(

The SB Live is fairly notorious for static noises - Creative tell me that the latest version of Liveware fixes it - but it doesn't really.

Get the latest version anyway, and upgrade your directX to the latest (8.0a, I think).

Check what's being loaded at startup - get rid of anything you don't need. Something like XSetup should help you do this;
Good Luck

Try to disable ,one by one,[in the system configuration utility] whatever is loading at the start of windows ,then
disable all of the audio compression codecs [multimedia properties+devices],restart your pc a couple of times then enable them again.
I have a SB PCI128 and had the same problem.
Hope this helps .....

Thanks a bunch for the replies, but I figured out what was causing the the problem - rather how to fix it. I guess it was a heat issue, because in my desperate state I just shut the thing off. thats it. when I turned it back on after a couple hours the sound was fine.

I'm going to try your solutions anyway though, citrix, as they work as system enchancments as well.

I'm gonna keep a copy of your reply if it flares up again actua, thx for the ideas.

Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back