Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound on a built machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melapa

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I have a customer who has lost all the documentation to his PC whiich was built for him by a company in the UK (he cannot remember who). He has win 2k recently installed on the system but cannot get the sound to work. I have looked at the motherboard and the sound card is an onboard sound card, the problem is I cannot find the type of soundcard to get a driver for it.

Any ideas? My advice is limited to my personal opinion, and the information I have been provided with. Paul Melarkey

You didn't recognize the motherboard mfr. when you were in the case? (usually silk-screened onto the board) Writing down and chasing the FCC ID # is another way to find it.

Downloading/installing belarc advisor from belarc.com MAY
reveal it...(it's free and very small, less than 700K and tells lots of other interesting stuff about the system)
It may even tell the sound adapter.

What driver is loaded in Device Manager for the device?

You can also trace the BIOS version by writing it down and searching for it...and this way find the mfr. of the motherboard.

You have a no. of options:

1. You could buy a new sound card and get drivers with it for a very small amount of money. Which will undoubtedly be better

2. Right-Click on My Computer and click Device manager it may appear here. with a yellow exclamation mark (if no drivers are installed)

3. Go to the homepage of the mainboard manufacturer (if you know who it is) and get his drivers for it.

4. Run DxDiag.exe under Program Files>DirectX> etc> dxdiag.exe and see what it says about sound.

Hope this is some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back