Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound Icon missing in Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoin

Technical User
Feb 7, 2001
US
I don't know how it happened but I'm missing the 'Sounds' icon in my control panel. I re-did Windows 98se about a month ago and when I go to change the sounds to suit my ear, there is no way to change them.
I checked Teawk UI and it isn't listed in the 'Control Panel' tab. Maybe the new Soundblater Live! update removed it, but I would like it back any suggestions?

Extract the file mmsys.cpl from the cabinet files on your original CD or if you copied them to the hard drive from there. It may take a while browsing through all the *.cabs. Copy it to your windows\system folder. It should re-appear. As far as I know, SBLive doesn't remove it. I lost almost all my cpl's recently in WinME due to over zealous overclocking of the PCI bus....

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,
It was the multimedia control panel extension that brings up two icons in the control panel multimedia & sounds I had taken that out with TweakUI. I actually looked through the cabs and couldn't find mmsys.cpl:( Guess I'm not a very good sleuth. Again, thanks for the help!

Hello, SirLoin.

To extract it, just click out the dos box and enter:

Extract /A X:\Win98\Win98_22.cab /L C:\Windows\System mmsys.cpl

Edit the Green letter to point to your CDRom with installation cd ready. And, it will ask if you want to overwrite the existing mmsys.cpl.

regards - tsuji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back