Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sound card not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jascra

Programmer
Jul 9, 2002
Hopefully someone can help me....I have some old pentium windows 95 machines that have ALS 100+ sound cards. 2 of the machines have no driver, and I had no software that came with the cards, so I downloaded the driver and tried to install it. The machine seems to load the driver(from add new hardware, and I say I have the disk), but even after I restart the computer, it says there is no sound card installed....what could be wrong?

Check the BIOS to see if the sound or resources are disabled. Also check for IRQ conflicts and if all seem ok, switch (PCI or ISA??) slots. Also be totally sure that your drivers are for the correct model and for the correct operating system (win95). ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:
It works better if you plug it in.

If it seems to be a driver problem after you follow Apex1x's advice then, you say you have some machines but only 2 have no drivers... go to a machine with the drivers, find out in device manager what drivers are being used, find them in windows explorer and copy them to a floppy or CD. Remove the sound card in device manager of the system without drivers and reinstall it using the floppy or cd as the driver source. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Thanks for the advice. I notice when I go into device manager, there is no listing for any sound device.
Also, one of my machines hard drive crashed(these are really old machines running in a hot classroom), so I took the sound card out, and put in a machine that didnt even have a sound card. I installed the card fine, and had a disk with the driver that I downloaded. It detected the new hardware, and prompted me for the .inf file, which I had. But then it asked me for 3 files(which are hidden system files) a3sndsys.386, a3sndsys.vxd and a3opl.drv.
I pointed to the disk which had these hidden system files, but it kept saying it cannot find them. How can I get the computer to see these files?
Thanks

Try to point towards the root of the floppy disk (A:\), and if that doesn't work, try locating the specific directory for the win95 driver files on the disk (probably something like A:\Win95). If neither one brings up the right files, make sure you have the correct disk and also try using the windows 95 cd, as those may be some files on it. ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:
It works better if you plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back