Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sound card installed, but know sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2002
US
Hello all,

I'm working on a IBM Intellication model 6889, and I have no clue how to get the sound to work:

*there are no errors in the device manger.
*audio is enable in bios
*sound is turned up
*will not play any type of sound file

This is a Windows 2000 system, and I the same model working fine. Please let me know how I can trouble shoot this further. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Where are you expecting the sound to come from? The PC Speaker or some speakers you have plugged in.

I dont want to sound patronising but have you checked that the external speakers are working? Plug them into something else and try it.

There should be an icon next to the clock on the bottom right that looks like a yellow speaker. Is there a red no entry sign on it? If there is double click the icon and take the tick out of mute.

If there isnt a no entry sign on the icon try the following.

Open Windows media player and make sure the sound is not muted in this application.

Within Windows media player open a sound file. Now click on View - Options. Under Playback click on repeat forever. Now you can jiggle some wires and plug and unplug cables while listening for a sound. This at least will help to identify a loose connection.

Is this an internal sound card or external?

They are external, and I did try to play wav files and other media files, using Media player as will. I was able to plug them into other machines and it worked fine. The sound Icon in the start menu looks to be working, nothing has been muted, checked in the control panel as well same thing. [ponytails2]Thanks

Does your MotherBoard have a built on sound card aswell? If so you may have to disable it in bios for the exernal card to work.

1.first reinstall the drivers if that does not work then

2. i would suggest u to try with another sound card if that works probably it might be the sound card failure

3. i think this might work any way give since ur saying ur using a win2000 OS try installing the drivers for win 3x or less for the sound card as these drivers are stored in config.sys file &this will not happen if u install win2000 drivers( they get stored in to the registry) . donot worry if the devicemanger does not show the details of drivers loaded as it will show details apart from the one that are stored in config.sys

let me know what did u do to rectify this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back