Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting with Union and to_char(date field)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvalluri

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
I am trying to sort 2 columns like :

(SELECT w_id AS "work id" , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" FROM W WHERE w_id IN (181185, 181166)
UNION
SELECT w_id as "work id", TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" FROM W WHERE w_id IN (182394,179945,207781 )
)ORDER BY "work id", "Date I"

The Date I field is obviously sorted as a character.
I need to use the actual date sorting but also represent the date field as a character in my results.

Any clue??

stvalluri, you can tell SQL*Plus not to print the DATE column by which you are sorting, as follows. (Changes in bold.):
Code:
col x noprint
SELECT w_id AS "work id" , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') "Date I"[b], w_date x[/b]
  FROM W WHERE w_id IN (181185, 181166)
UNION 
SELECT w_id as "work id", TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') "Date I"[b], w_date[/b]
  FROM W WHERE w_id IN (182394,179945,207781 )
 ORDER BY  "work id", [b]x[/b];
Let us know how this works for you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

How about doing this

Select w_id as "work id", w_date
from
(SELECT w_id , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" , w_date
FROM W
WHERE w_id IN (181185, 181166)
UNION
SELECT w_id, TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" ,w_date
FROM W
WHERE w_id IN (182394,179945,207781 )
)ORDER BY "work id", "Date I"

Thanks for both the replies.

Mufasa, your solutions works fine with sqlplus but the complex report I am working is a third party tool which embeds sql and it fails there with the error "Invalid SQL". Is this a feature related to oracle version?

IanWaterman, - Sorry I just posted a sample query, but my query is more complex with another sorting field(another long query) so, could not get your solution work too.

Stvalluri,

Sorry...I did not know that your query is embedded in a non-SQL*Plus venue. Had I known that, I would have suggested a solution similar to Ian's excellent technique. I say "similar" since you probably need a different "ORDER BY" from Ian's. You should be able to embed the following into your third-party software without problems. (If you do have problems, please post the specific error/problem you are having so that we can help you arrive at a successful implementation.):
Code:
Select w_id as "work id", [b]"Date I"[/b]
from
(SELECT w_id , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" , w_date  
FROM W 
UNION 
SELECT w_id, TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" ,w_date
FROM W 
)ORDER BY  "work id", [b]w_date[/b]
The reason why this technique should work is because the inner "SELECT...UNION...SELECT" forms an "in-line" view, which is perfectly legal.

Let us know your findings

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Thank you very much for your immediate response.
This solution works with tools like Toad.
However,
I have tried to execute this within the tool - it fails with the error - ORA-00904: "work id": invalid identifier -

I need to embed the sql only within this and I have also contacted the vendor for support of the sql formatting commands.

thanks once again

Stvalluri,

Try the following version from which I have "sanitised" all quoted aliases:
Code:
Select w_id, "Date I"
from
(SELECT w_id , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY')Date_I, w_date  
FROM W 
UNION 
SELECT w_id, TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY'),w_date
FROM W 
)ORDER BY  w_id, w_date
Let us know the outcome.

[santa]Mufasa

Why not the following

(SELECT w_id AS "work id" , TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" FROM W WHERE w_id IN (181185, 181166)
UNION
SELECT w_id as "work id", TO_CHAR(w_date, 'ddMonYY') AS "Date I" FROM W WHERE w_id IN (182394,179945,207781 )
)ORDER BY "work id", TO_DATE("Date I",'DDMONRR')

Bill
Oracle DBA/Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back