Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting Time Date Field Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynng

MIS
Sep 26, 2000
US
I have a time/date field and have grouped by it in my report. The report has the field formatted as date for the group. Within the group is the same field formatted as time and I would like to have it sort ascending. No matter what I do the time part does not sort correctly (am/pm intermixed) I have tried deleting and regrouping as Seagate suggests in their online help but to no avail. EX: 9/26/00 (group)
8:51am 5714(product) 7543(quantity) 4526(rate)
4:30pm 5039 40000 931
6:43am 5364 10000 1052
(the rest of the report has 3 more groups for product, quantity and rate.)
Any suggestions will be appreciated as I have been wrestling with this for days. Thanks.
[sig][/sig]

First, the format of a field will not have any effect on the sort. It should sort on the underlying value regardless of the format. Your sure this isn't a separate field for time?

Is it a datetime or a datetimestring?

Can you extract the hours amd minutes using a formula and sort on the formula instead of the field itself? This may help you uncover the problem if not provide a workaround. [sig]<p>Ken Hamady<br><a href=mailto:ken@kenhamady.com>ken@kenhamady.com</a><br><a href= Reports Training by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back