Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting the workfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNRM

Programmer
Jan 27, 2005
ZA
Hi there all you Cognos gurus!

I have a few cubes that take up to 3 hours to sort the workfile - I know this because the log stops updating after the entry 'sorting the workfile' then starts up again a few hours after.

I use iqd's as data sources in transformer based on data marts which in turn are built in SQL.

I am aware that these particular cubes are rarther large and have many dimensions and measures which will at some stage hopefully be dropped (this is a political issue) but for now I would like to try and save some time on the workfile sorting issue as this is far and away the most time consuming part of the process.

I have searched the forums about the workfile issue and seen the different suggestions about altering configurations etc. but what I would really like to know is why the workfile needs to be sorted in the first place?
Is it somehing to do with my data marts (possibly indexes or something?) or is it just an unavaoidable part of transformers processing that I cannot do anything to circumvent?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back