Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

icriley

Technical User
May 6, 2001
US
I have not been able to find software to complete a project. I have 100 names and need to randomly sort 4 names into 25 groups. Each time I sort, I don't want to duplicate a previous sort. Anyone know of such a software?

icriley, I can write some code for you in Visual Basic (VB.NET) that will perform what you are trying to do. The only catch is that you have to install the .NET framework to get the application to run. It is 23MB and can be downloaded from here:

Alternatively, If you have access to a machine with Visual Studio.NET installed then you can run in on that machine and use it there.

The way I would do it is read the Names in from a plain text file, then use a random number generator to pick one from the list and add it to a ComboBox, at the same time removing itself from the list. So you would would end up with 25 drop down lists containing four random names each. Is that what you are trying to do?

If you are interested, give me your email address and we can discuss it further there.

Sounds like a perfect application for qbasic. Why not try posting in that forum, somebody will probably post code for you.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back