Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting remote access pub apps from internal ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakus

MIS
Aug 8, 2001
US
We have a 2000 AD domain running MF XPE FR1.
We have one farm with several published apps for all of our internal users. Recently we opened up remote web access through NFuse with a MF server. Our problem is, remote users are seeing published apps that don't work through NFuse and trying to use them. I would like to seperate remote access applications from internal ones. What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

Freakus,

This may seem like a silly question, but why don't they work from outside? If the apps are running on the Metaframe Farm, then they should work regardless of location (that's the idea of Server Based Computing).

In any case, I can suggest 2 options that I know will work for this situation.
1. Create 2 global groups - Internal and External. Place the users in the appropriate groups, and assign permissions to the Published apps, such that External users can't access Internal Apps. Then they won't even see the icon.
DISCLAIMER: This will only work if the External users are ONLY external and the Internal STAY internal. Otherwise it's a hell of a lot of Administrative Overhead.

2. Have only 1 or 2 servers available to NFuse, and only publish the external apps to those servers. Not recommended because it means that the load balancing can't distribute across the whole farm.

Another option could be to write some advanced custom web pages and publish with NFuse Elite, but I don't know too much about that.

My preference overall, would be to make ALL apps work internally and externally. If that's not possible/practical (and obviously you may have a situation where that is the case) then go with option 1. Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back