Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sorting records

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveonion

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
howdy, here we go, i have a table with details of cars, a table with details of employees and a table with which employees are driving which cars. one car can have many drivers and vice versa, however in the table saying which driver drives which cars i have a date field stating the date that they will be using the car from.
Question
I need to create a report showing the current driver of each car, however when i try and do this (by choosing the max variant in the query for date) it shows all records, and all drivers that have drove the car.
hope u understand what i mean
please help

I have assumed table and field names, and this isn't the exact SQL syntax, but I'm sure you'll follow:

Query1:
select max(startdate) CurrDate, carcode from tblDriverCar group by carcode

Query2:
Select tblCrossRef.* from
Query1 joined with tblCrossRef joining on carcode and tblCrossRef.StartDate=Query1.CurrDate

You can modify Query2 to join with tblDriver to get Driver Name etc.

Good Luck

I think I understand the issue. I'd try is using a nested query to first determine the latest record for each car. Using the MAX variant on a date is okay but in a one to many situation, if the table has a lot of records, you really you want to have an AutoNumber field with a unique ID for each record, then create a compound primary key on Car ID + Record ID for effeciency. Make it a "Group By" query grouping on the Car ID, Employee Name, and Date, along with Max([Your AutoNumber Record ID]).
Save this query and insert it into a new query Then simply add your auto detail table and link on Car ID.
Hope this helps.

howdy, i've tried doing what you both asked and when i group by date and only include the car number then its fine and returns only the current records, however as soon as i join the query to the other table and add employees i end up with loads of records, the date and car is duplicated and the employee names seem to be just randomly included against each record, oohh

once again tek tips comes to the rescue, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back