Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcreed1

Technical User
May 20, 2004
US
I have a field (called source) that will have a 0,6, or a 7 as it's data.

I then have a field that has a flight number (input as a text since it is comprised of both letters and numbers).

Some of these flight numbers appear three or more times once with a 0, once with a 6, and once with a 7 in the column 'source'. (Some may appear twice - with a 0 or a 7, and some only once - with a 0 or 7 or 6).

Ok if I haven't confused everyone yet what I am trying to do is display all the flight numbers that have a '0' in the source column when that same flight number has an entry with a 6 in the source column and a 7 in the source column.

As I had stated the flight number may appear several times. I only need the '0' flights that are also '6 & 7' flights.

Is this possible?
Thank you

Hi Not sure why you described this as a Sorting Problem, maybe I do not understand your question, but I think teh answer is SQL something like so

SELECT * FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 0 AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 6 OR Source = 7) ORDER BY FlightNo;

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

If I understand your suggestion it wouldn't work in my case because I have about 13,000 flight numbers to go through.

so my columns would look like this

source flight number
0 ab123
6 ab 123
7 ab 123
0 ac 12
7 ab 12
7 dc 124
6 af 56

I would only want the query to pull 0 ab123 since that flight has a 6 & 7 also.
Again, realize I have about 13,000 lines of info.
Thank you

Hi

OK so you need

SELECT * FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 0 AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 6) AND FlightNo IN SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 7) ORDER BY FlightNo;

Regards

Ken Reay

I don't see what the number of rows has to do with it. The select will return the records you want, though I think based on the logic you describe you might need one more nesting level (though this might be done faster with a union):
Code:
SELECT * FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 0 AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 6 [COLOR=blue]AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 7)[/color]) ORDER BY FlightNo;
The inner-most select grabs all flights with a 7, then the select outside that grabs all flights with a 6 that are in that first list, then the outermost select grabs all flights with a 0 that are in that combined 6 & 7 list. The result is a recordset with only the flights that have a 0, 6, and 7.

Hi

Sorry missed out a (

SELECT * FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 0 AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 6) AND FlightNo IN (SELECT FlightNo FROM FlightsTable WHERE Source = 7) ORDER BY FlightNo;

Regards

Ken Reay

Another way:
SELECT A.*
FROM (FlightsTable A
INNER JOIN FlightsTable B ON A.[flight number] = B.[flight number])
INNER JOIN FlightsTable C ON A.[flight number] = C.[flight number]
WHERE A.Source = 0 AND B.Source = 6 AND C.Source = 7

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back