Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting, hotfiles, cascading prompts ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukesh

Programmer
Aug 20, 2000
US
Hi all

1. Can we sort data in a cross tab report.
I can sort only for fields dragged in rows.

2. What are diffrent uses of hot files.

3. Can i use one report as a input to another report? HOW?

4. Is there a way that a scedular can save a report in excel with formats.

5. What are cascading prompts?

Pls reply it very urgent.

BYE

Hi Mukesh,

1. Crosstab reports are like autogrouping: every data element must either be a summary aggregate or a grouped column (with the exception of associated data - I haven't tried this but it should work). Including other data into the report will effectively break it.

2. Hotfiles are traditionally used to resolve tricky 1-to-many join issues, to combine data from different data sources, and to handle what would normally be multi-pass SQL instruction. The first problem (1-to-many issues) is better handles with a table view. The last problem is handled now (version 6) with a technique which answers your third question. The second use remains the area where hotfiles are still useful.

3. In version 6 you can use a report as a data source for a second report. Create a report and save it. Open the catalog as Creator and add the report by going to Tables on the Catalog menu and clicking the Hotfiles radio button. Then browse to the directory you saved the report to. Add the report and then add any required joins. The report will run on demand and pass current data to the second report.

4. Scheduler can only save to Formatted Excel via a macro using SendKeys. See another posting here for a discussion of that technique.

5. Cascading prompts are created via a Report Picklist prompt. These are separate reports using prompts that guide the user through distinct prompts that narrow the available selections based on the users input. The help files provide some useful examples based on Great Outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back