Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting folders with Numeric names

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITec

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

We have around 300 computers 75 percent have Windows XP leaving 25 percent Windows 2000. Within the next year we should be all XP. We have named some folders after streets and Avenue’s they like the way XP lists it as:
1 Ave
2 Ave
Etc.

They don’t want Windows 2000 list of:
1 Ave
10 Ave
101 Ave
Etc.

They don’t want to put 001 or _1 etc.

I would like to sort windows 2000 folders like windows XP.

I can find a lot of different articles to make XP sort like w2k but not the other way around.

Has anyone done this before?

I apologize if this seems rushed or confusing.

Thank You

RITec

I am going to try another the XP forum too. sense there has been no reply.

RITec

Numeric sorting is an XP feature. Doesn't work very well because it gets a bit difficult to figure out where the numbers end and the words begin. For instance they might want

25 abc
26 abc
26A abc
26B abc

What 2000 gives you is an alphabetic sort. You could always put leading spaces in the names instead of leading zeros. You'll just have problems accessing it from a command prompt.

XWB,
For now they are going to have people with w2k machines deal with the change.

If anyone does come up with a way to accomplish this I would still like to here how.

Thank you for your reply.

RITec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back