Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting Dropdown List???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb1978

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
US
I have created a report that has parameter inputs from a dropdown box on an HTML page. The dropdown box is dynamic input from a field in a database table. The problem I have is that the dropdown list, after returning the values from the table, is not sorted and I can't figure out how to sort the values. Can anyone provide some assistance?

Thanks,
JB

The first question is "HOW are you creating the dropdown list?" If it's created by a secondary TABLE, then you should use a BY field, to sort the returning records.

I'm somewhat new to WebFocus, so my appologies if I don't make sense. The dropdown is not being created from a secondary table. I'm developing in 7.1 by the way. I am going directly against a master file which is tied directly to a database table.

What tool are you using to create the HTML page? That will better direct us on how to respond to your question.

Thanks for the help, but just yesterday I figured out that it was sorting based on the data (a number value) and not the display value for the numbers. I was using a name field for display and the ID for the underlying data, therfore the sort was by the ID and not the name. I changed to just use the name field for both data and display and it works.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back