Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting By Summary Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianM1234

Programmer
Nov 9, 2007
GB
Hi does anyone know how to get round this on Filemaker 8 ? I have a set of results displayed in a report which is currently sorted by Salesperson. Each salesperson has a 'call value' which is a calculation derived from the no of calls taken and total overall sales value. What I want to do is sort them as in a 'league table' of 'call value'. As the field is a summary field it's not available to be chosen to 'sort by'..... is there any way around this or does filemaker versions above 8.03 allow this to be done ?..... thanks in advance guys

I usually create an extra field (NewSum) in the same table, which duplicates the Summary.

Define it as Calculation and equal it to the Summary field :NewSum = Summaryfield
You can sort on that new field as it will reflect exactly the summary field.
Even FM 9 does not allow you to sort on Summary felds.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back