Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting and grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc94

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
US
I have a reprt based on a query. Each listing in the report has multiple items- name, account number, mode of arrival, diagnosis. All of the items are single in the listing except diagnosis which may have multiple items. When I run the report it lists a name and account number and all the other unique items with each diagnosis. I suspect this can be fixed in the sorting and grouping but I can not figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Select all of the item controls, bring up the property sheet, and set the Hide Duplicates property to Yes.

Hi,

Personally, I have found that hiding duplicates can have some annoying side effects and as such wouldn't recommend it.

I would include a group header, based on a key or a dependant 'control' value, move all of the repeated values to the group header section, and leave the unique values in the details. This may make the report a little disjoint as the group header is on a separate line to the details, but with a little formatting the presentation will be OK.

To use grouping, select the 'Sorting & Grouping' button (or View >> Sorting and Grouping from the menubar). Select the control in the drop down list in the dialogue and turn on Group Header. You can use the same dialogue to control the order of data in the report, independant of the report's data source.

Cheers

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back